Voices into Action Mini-Grants
Voices into Action has limited mini-grant funding for the community to help improve access to healthy and affordable food and physical activity.
Overview of Mini-Grants:
- Mini-Grant funding is available for projects in Lee County, Western Harnett County and Southeast Raleigh.
- Voices into Action will fund projects that improve access to healthy affordable foods. Physical activity projects that do not require structural or permanent changes (like long-term fitness classes or non-permanent fitness equipment) may also be funded.
- Grant projects must include a policy and/or environmental change to improve access to healthy, affordable foods and/or physical activity.
- A policy change is a formal or informal rule or common practice to support healthy eating or physical activity.
- An environmental change is a change to the physical or social environment to support healthy eating or physical activity.
- Collaborative Grant Projects will be given funding priority: As this is Voices into Action’s last cycle of mini-grant funding, projects that emphasize collaborations between two or more community organizations and are focused on future sustainability of the project will be granted funding priority. Mini-grants that focus on project expansion will also be prioritized for funding. Collaborative Grant Projects must include partnerships with community organizations through the creation / expansion of links with existing community infrastructure and resources. This could include working with groups of volunteers, partnering with local groups and organizations, or working with a local government agency.
- Grants will be from $100-$2,000, with collaborative grant projects being eligible for up to $3,000.
- We encourage proposals even if you have never written a grant before!
Who can apply for Mini-Grants (Note – Grants are for organizations, not individuals):
- Faith communities
- Schools or childcare facilities
- Non-profit organizations
- Government agencies
- Community groups
- Neighborhood groups
- Civic groups
- Local businesses
- Farmers’ associations
- Other informal groups working in the area
- Informational workshops (attendance at a workshop is strongly recommended):
- Lee County:
- October 5th, 2015 (Monday) from 3-5pm at the Lee County Cooperative Extension Office (2420 Tramway Rd., Sanford)
- Harnett County:
- October 7th, 2015 (Wednesday) from 3-5pm at the Harnett County Cooperative Extension Office (126 Alexander Dr., Lillington)
- Southeast Raleigh:
- October 7th, 2015 (Wednesday) from 5:30-7:30pm at 512 Brickhaven Dr., Raleigh (Room 203)
- NOTE: Additional assistance can also be obtained by contacting:
- Zandra Alford (Harnett and Lee County Applicants) at 919-513-2858, firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Helen Herrera (Southeast Raleigh Applicants) at 919-513-2703, email@example.com
- Applications due:
- October 30, 2015 (Friday) at 5:00 pm
- Grant recipients announced
- Grant cycle and funding distribution begins
Allowable expenses include, but are not limited to: educational materials, marketing materials, signage, gardening tools and supplies, seeds, soil, plants, cooking equipment, printing costs, portable food storage/shelving (e.g. baskets, removable/portable shelves), and portable fitness equipment (e.g. jumpropes, hand weights, sports equipment, exercise DVDs).
Unallowable expenses include: staff/personnel time, travel costs, furniture (e.g. benches, tables, chairs, tents), permanent structures and construction of permanent structures (e.g. playgrounds, paved walking trails, fencing, new building space), and large appliances (e.g. refrigerators, freezers).
For more information or for questions related to your proposed budget please contact:
Harnett and Lee County Applicants: Zandra Alford, the Harnett and Lee Outreach Coordinator (919-513-2858; firstname.lastname@example.org), or
Southeast Raleigh Applicants: Helen Herrera, the Nutrition and Outreach Associate for SE Raleigh (919-513-2703; email@example.com).
Applications will be available on September 14th, 2015 (Monday). Once applications are available, they can be submitted via e-mail, mail or fax.
Applications must be submitted by October 30, 2015 (Friday) at 5:00 pm
For an idea of what this year’s application will look like, please see Last Year’s Mini-Grant Application .
Add-ons for Online Applications will include:
Letter of Collaboration Template
Mini Grant Agreement
For information about 2014 & 2015 Mini-Grant projects, please view our blog.